Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Metal Roof

 This metal roof project took only 6 days to install, but it took 12 months to finally get a company to cooperate and do business with me. Jeez!

I have some comments about the metal roof. The critical part is definitely the measurements of the panels themselves.  On the alley slope I was 1/2'' off from totally perfect. The other side was actually perfect except for the width, which was not square and forced me to make a weird rip. It is a roof, but I didn't know to check the width in divisions of 16'' or I would've seen the last full panel was going to land in a spot that would make a terrible final ripped panel. I think the only way to start would be to rip the first panel or buy a 12'' panel to start with and make the last full panel end in a good spot.

But it's behind me. 6 days of work was agony on my old knees. The mind is willing but the body is wanting.

I will summarize this project at another time. If the measurements of the panels are right and even with a roof that is not square and has weird bulges and humps, it's still possible to push forward and get everything looking ok. A wise man said, "A roof is a rain deflection system." It's not waterproof. It deflects rain off the house. Something to ponder.



No comments:

Post a Comment