Saturday, May 14, 2022

lime wash

So, I would recommend testing limewash on an area before going whole hog. I've had mixed results from applying a concrete bonding agent .to the paint and then applying the limewash. Sometimes it seems to bond well and other times it dries very quickly, does not bond and then flakes off in 24 hours. Actually, I would not recommend using limewash over paint at all. It's setting me up for a messy job of removing ALL the limewash with a pressure washer before I can apply real paint again. I like the IDEA of coloring a wall for $12 worth of limewash instead of $120 worth of paint, but the reality is this won't last as long as paint. Now, if you are applying limewash directly on brand new stucco or adobe then you will probably have better results. I applied some limewash on bare cinderblock and the stuff looks excellent 3 years later. But the exterior wall facing the wind and weather is different and it had old paint on it that is not a good surface for limewash so I scraped it and applied the bonding agent. I also used a mist sprayer as it was drying so that it did not dry too fast. That might have helped. I'm not sure. This is a learning experience and paint or colors are easy things to mess up and try again. There is not great disaster here. I am thinking a gold for the top wood, taking my color palate from the movie Encanto.

The plumbing is a different story, as I spent 6 months trying to get a plumber to give me an estimate for how much it will cost to replace my sewer line. Several came to look at it but they were not interested in giving me an estimate and I'm certainly not going to twist anyone's arm into taking $10k from me. IF they don't want the job then I don't really want them so I will broaden my search into surrounding areas. I even considered getting a plumber's license myself but the performance bond is like $4200 which I lose for 2 years. It insures me for about $750k worth of damage. And if the whole job costs $5k to finish then I will spend $10k either way and it makes me nervous to dive into the asphalt with no idea what to expect there.

So, I'm looking for some work again and will revisit the plumbing project in the Winter of 2023.

 

I pulled many cactus thorns from my hand.

That awning looks a bit out of place, but it does the job.

Maybe Gold as a tribute to the Conquistadores.

No comments:

Post a Comment