Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Motorcycle Repair

 

Motorcycle Tire signage soon to be flower planters

This is more than a Honda Rebel deserves, but I bought the parts so they might as well be on the bike New front brake pads, new rear brake shoes, new tires, new front tube, new fork seals. I will say that working at midnight with some disco music on my garage radio, drinking coffee, wrenching, drilling, all on my own bike on my own property...was bliss. A dream come true after 40 years of doing this kind of work in a library parking lot or illegally in a tow yard or on the side of the street with rain pouring in the window and Nicaraguan military police shouting orders.

Speaking of fork seals...this is the bolt that someone put locktite on and thus stripped out when I tried to extract it. I managed to fight with it and basically destroy it in the process, but it is a basic socket cap bolt. 8mm 1.25 pitch. 27mm long, but 25 mm also worked for $2.
The 
Part # 90116-383-721 is unnecessary to buy. Just go to the specialty bolt section at Ace or home depot and get a 8mm, 1.25 pitch in the 25 mm length. put some loctite on it and use it.

Really sucked getting the rear axle on. The smaller wheel spacer goes on the left side INSIDE the hub...the bigger spacer is on the right side, which is the side the axle is inserted into first. Then use a rubber mallet to push it through the wheel spacer...then through the wheel hub, out the other side through the smaller spacer and then through the swing arm. It took about 20 tries...

What a total pain it was to break the bead on the rear tire. I had to use a pry bar. Fortunately, the inner tube meant I did not have to battle with the bead when I put the new tire on.


No comments:

Post a Comment